Think Freely Media presents Common Sense with Paul Jacob

So, wait, Obamacare is not free?

Pre-Obamacare, George Schwab paid $228 a month for health insurance. Now he must pay $1,208 a month for a comparable plan. “The president told the American people numerous times that ‘If you like your coverage, you can keep it.’ How can we keep it if it has been eliminated? How can we keep it if the premium has been increased 430 percent . . . ?” He sounds surprised.

Michael Hood paid $324 a month. Now it’s $895. “The president told us Obamacare would make health insurance affordable and reduce costs. It is now impossible for our family to afford private health insurance.” He sounds surprised.

Tom Waschura is getting socked with a $10,000-per-year addition to his family policy. “I was laughing at Boehner — until the mail came today.” He sounds surprised.

Cindy Vinson must pay $1,800 more a year. “I want people to have health care. I just didn’t realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally.” She sounds surprised.

At the Healthcare.gov Facebook page, Dema Zinger says “I am so disappointed. These prices are outrageous and there are huge deductibles.” She sounds surprised.

If government massively transfers private insurance policy costs from each according to ability (younger, healthier, richer) to each according to alleged need (older, sicker, poorer), there’s a good chance the former will end up paying more whether they liked their pre-Obamacare policies or not.

Which is a surprise because . . . ?

This is Common Sense. I’m Paul Jacob.

By: Redactor

11 Comments

1. Doctor Bill says:

Sorry, pardon the snickering, but I can’t help wonder how many of these folks, and the soon-to-be millions of their compatriots actually voted for the current occupant of the White House.

It matters not a whit, though, because they will NEVER blame him, nor hold him accountable, nor believe he actually LIED to them.

2. 2WarAbnVet says:

Ted Cruz doesn’t look so foolish now, does he?

3. Drik says:

Neither does Senator Joseph Wilson.

4. Edward Agazarm says:

Pass the popcorn please.

5. Funny how all these anecdotes in the media so far have proven false…

My health insurance hasn’t changed, and most folks are going to be paying LESS, not more.

6. Jason says:

Clay Conrad: You can’t use your narrow point of view or scenario to define what will or will not be happening to millions of Americans. Your plan stayed the same. That’s great. Mine didn’t. I am paying more. Millions will be paying more. In fact, the only thing that I have NOT heard is a story about someone paying LESS. But who am I to say what’s false and what isn’t, that letter I got from my employer saying my premiums are going up must be a fake. It’s a good prank too seeing as how all my coworkers got one too. A lot of work for a piece of falsehood, don’t ya think?

7. phybrr says:

Obamacare is the worst of all solutions to the
    health care problem. The reason is the middle
    man has not been eliminated. By forcing the
    health care businesses to take those with pre-existing conditions they merely increase the costs to all.
    Even an inefficient gov plan would siphon off
    less money than greedy big business.

8. MingoV says:

Premiums should be based on voting patterns. People who voted for Obama and for the democratic legislators who enacted ObamaCare should have their premiums doubled so that the rest of us can pay less.

9. Pat says:

My cost stayed the same for only one reason: I have no health coverage. My employer doesn’t offer it to temporary employees.
    I’m not about to pay for unneeded drug treatment coverage. I’m willing to risk the fine. Even a fine of $1,000 will be less than the cost of insurance, especially given that, unlike people like Clay, I would have to pay for it with after tax dollars. My current game plan is to limit the fine by reducing income tax withholding in 2014.
    When Kathleen Sebelius and the Obamas all submit themselves to this law, maybe I’ll reconsider.

10. BZ says:

Younger is usually poorer than older, otherwise that last sentence would be brilliant.

11. Boiler says:

BZ, the last sentence deals with health insurance policy costs. Since younger people are healthier than older people their policy costs are lower. There are three comparatives; Younger to Older, Healthier to Sicker, and Richer to Poorer. They aren’t inclusive of each other so the sentence does qualify for brilliance. The Young aren’t richer, but their insurance needs differ significantly than the Old leading to significantly different premiums pre Obamacare.