The rest of the story? Recently, materials that police seized from the subjects of those dawn raids were leaked, illegally, to the Guardian newspaper — in direct violation of a court order. Yet more lawlessness.
Who leaked this information? Well, it was in the possession of the Milwaukee County prosecutors, and they haven’t alleged a Russian hack.
What’s really going on? Eric O’Keefe stated on Monday that “even though they never brought a charge, the prosecutors did achieve one of their major goals: the unlawful seizure of millions of private communications to create a searchable database of political intelligence spanning Wisconsin and the entire country.”
In short, the abusive investigation was part and parcel of a partisan effort.
State Rep. Dave Craig is urging the creation of a special legislative committee to “take sworn testimony . . . to determine whether those charged with the public trust have acted maliciously by intentionally leaking sealed materials in violation of state policy.”
It’s important that justice be done. To prevent future tyranny.
We don’t want to see a repeat of the IRS abuse of Tea Party groups without anyone being held to account.*
This is Common Sense. I’m Paul Jacob.
* Speaking of the IRS, it turns out that the head of Wisconsin’s Government Accountability Board (GAB) was a pal of Lois Lerner, who headed the IRS division responsible for violating the civil rights of Tea Party groups — before she took the Fifth, refusing to testify before Congress and then retiring with a six-figure pension. Further, there is evidence the GAB may have illegally provided confidential information to the IRS in hopes of getting the Feds to join in harassing these conservative groups.
FOR MORE ON THIS INCREDIBLE STORY
- Watchdog.com: Wisconsin’s Secret War
- Watchdog.com: People shouldn’t face jail time for speaking out on the issues
- Ballotpedia: John Doe investigations related to Scott Walker
- Wisconsin John Doe: O’Keefe Wins Profile in Courage Award
- Common Sense: A Perfect Storm of Wrongs, Righted
- Human Events: Federal judge shuts down Wisconsin witch hunt