Republicans control both houses of Congress and the White House, with a majority of Supreme Court justices having been appointed by GOP presidents.
Why so little progress?
Well, during six of the eight years of George W. Bush’s presidency, Republicans controlled both the White House and Congress. And what did they do? Added a new entitlement, Medicare Part D, and kept the federal money-go-round swirling at breakneck speed. Additionally, the Roberts Court, a majority appointed by Republican presidents, managed to contort its way to upholding Obamacare.
And at the state level? The politics, more solidly Republican; the results, more decidedly ambiguous. Click on over to Townhall. Then come back here. For more perspective.
- New York Times: In a Further Blow to Democrats, Republicans Increase Their Hold on State Governments
- CNSnews.com: Republicans Now Control Record Number of State Legislative Chambers
- Investor’s Business Daily: Why Wait For Congress? Republicans Control Majority Of State Legislatures
- KTVB.com (NBC-Boise): Idaho lawmakers challenge validity of governor’s veto
- Idaho Politics Weekly: Legislature needs process for veto override
- Inlander: Idaho libertarian conservatives furious about Otter’s vetoes of licensing, civil forfeiture
- IdahoFreedom.org: Beautiful bill puts Idahoans back to work, loosens regulations
- Reason: Idaho Governor Flips Off Libertarians With Both Hands, Vetoes Asset Forfeiture AND Licensing Reforms
- Idaho Politics Weekly: Idahoans Overwhelmingly Favor Term Limits for Legislators